Sunday, July 15, 2012

Composition Tip: Improvise the Big Picture


One technique I will often use when composing a piece is to begin with the overall structure. Usually this is a result of recording an improv. I'll listen back to it and write out just enough information needed for me to remember what I played. Using this "score" I'll begin working out the details in Finale.
In this way I am "seeing" the forest first, before the trees.
An example would be a piece I composed last Monday (5/7/2012). It started out as an improv, and then I notated the score. Here is the original improv: Improv_may_5_2012
You can download the score here: untitled_guitar_piece
I inserted time markers to help you follow along. As you can see, the sections are there, but I am improvising the details. The next step for me is to input it into Finale where I will have to make decisions about the details. My guess is this piece will become one of the pieces in my Red Guitar Suite. This piece has already had its premier: I composed this last Monday and performed it for a group of high school kids on Wednesday. I still have to figure out a title. For me, that is the hardest part.
-Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment