Sunday, December 30, 2012

Composition Tip: How to avoid the "blank page" syndrome


It is very easy to waste many composition hours by looking at a blank piece of staff paper (or a computer screen) trying to come up with something to write. As a student I had this problem, as an adult I don’t.
Why the change? Life got busier (kids, work, etc.) and I don’t have as much time to compose so I try and make the most of it. When I was a student I had endless amounts of free time.
Here is what I do:
1. I usually have an idea of the general character of the piece. For example, I want to compose an “uplifting” solo bassoon piece. “Uplifting” to me means that I probably won’t be using minor scales but will instead stick with major thirds and melodies that ascend.
2. Once I know the general character of the piece I will begin to improvise (brainstorm) and come up with (at least) 20 different ideas (melodies, chord progressions, motives). This stage is usually completed in 15 to 20 minutes. Don’t want to over think this stage.
3. Then I’ll go through my ideas and pick out a couple that I like and start developing them into tiny (10-15 measures) pieces. If this part is a struggle I will go on to the next idea I like.
4. The next day I’ll pick “the one” and then start brainstorming more ideas, this time related to “the one.”
I hope this helps,
-Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment